"A Fairer World" Project
On November 20th, students will take action for the rights of the child
In a world that often seems adrift, it is important to remember the essentials: every child has the right to life and special protection, to live in dignity, to express their opinions, and to receive an education and social security. The rights of the child are fundamental rights, unconditional rights, that all countries must respect. However, these rights continue to be violated.
In order to change this situation, Swiss NGO Enfants du Monde invites children aged 6 to 12 to raise the general public's and the political world's awareness about the importance of the rights of children. With the support of the Compagnie Zappar, we collaborate with schools in Switzerland and around the world. By participating in the project "A Fairer World", children become spokespeople for their own rights by expressing creatively how they imagine a world in which the rights of children are respected.
Work in the classroom and globe creation
With the help of educational worksheets provided by Enfants du Monde, teachers first discuss the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Then, each child takes a photo in which they capture the right of the child of their choosing. On November 20th, on Universal Children's Day, a giant globe comprised of all the pictures taken by the children is unveiled. This mosaic of colour is a reminder of the importance of respecting the rights of children and stands as the symbol of a more just world.
The new generation gets involved with full strength
"The new generation reminds us of these fundamental rights with energy and engagement. This project becomes a megaphone for all the children who seek a more just and harmonious world. A world in which the rights of children and all people are not only promoted, but also respected," says Carlo Santarelli, Enfants du Monde's Secretary General.
"A Fairer World" in 2018/2019
- In total, 2,433 students in Switzerland, France, and Guatemala participated in "A Fairer World."
- Schools in the Swiss cantons of Fribourg, Geneva, and Vaud, in the French Rennes region, and in Alta Verapaz and Chimaltenango in Guatemala took part in the "A Fairer World" project.
- November 20th: The new globe was unveiled at the Place des Nations in Geneva for Universal Children's Day.
- On January 2019, a replica of the "A Fairer World" globe was produced in Benin with the support of the Compagnie Zappar, ACMUR, SOS Children’s Villages Benin and Pubadhesive.ch
- Since January 29th, 2019, the "A Fairer World" globe has began a tour of schools in Switzerland, Benin and Guatemala.
Photo Credit © Yannick Cochand