education project in burkina faso
Enfants du Monde helps children to attend school
When the state school refused to admit Zalissa Sankara because she was too old, her fate was sealed. As a girl in a mostly illiterate village in Burkina Faso, her whole future had already been mapped out for her: child marriage, frequent pregnancies, working in the fields, fetching water and wood.
But Zalissa had the chance to go to one of the schools supported by Enfants du Monde in Burkina Faso for children who never went to school or left it too early. By enabling them to go to school, our Swiss NGO helps thousands of disadvantaged children in Burkina Faso, particularly girls. In these second chance schools, students receive a quality education thanks to which they can continue their studies or learn a trade. The knowledge and skills they acquire help them lift themselves out of poverty and build themselves a future.
Convinced by the good results achieved by using the "Pedagogy of Text" educational approach in the schools that we support, Burkina Faso's Ministry of Basic Education and Literacy called upon the support of our NGO. We were asked to find ways of improving the quality of teaching in bilingual state schools.
- More than 4,200 children and teenagers are benefiting from the education project.
- Particular attention is given to girls’ education.
- The schools managed by our partner organbisations are always ready to listen to the families, and adapt the way they are run and what they teach to the local way of life. For example, in schools for shepherd children, the students learn not only to read and write, but also how to care for livestock.
- Classes are taught in two languages – in French, the official language, and in the local language.
- Teachers are given in-depth teacher training that enables them to improve the quality of their lessons.
- A training course for the trainers of teachers in bilingual state schools has been set up. Enfants du Monde provides it with a technical and financial support. The trainers and teachers learn to improve the quality of their lessons in languages and mathematics by using bilingual teaching (in French/ the local language) based on our educational approach.
Enfants du Monde implements its education project in collaboration with its local partner associations, the FDC/BF (Fondation pour le Développement Communautaire/ Burkina Faso), ASIBA (Association de Soutien aux Initiatives de Base) and A & P (Andal and Pinal), and also works with Burkina Faso's Ministry of Basic Education and Literacy.