pedagogy of text
Enfants du Monde’s education approach
The education approach promoted by Enfants du Monde is based on the pedagogical approach known as Pedagogy of Text, which has proved effective in improving the quality of education in developing countries. This approach was developed by our experts after many unsuccessful literacy campaigns carried out from the 1960s onwards, based on mechanical memorising and acquiring a limited number of skills.
Pedagogy of Text advocates an education taught in both the mother tongue and in the country’s official language, adapted to the children’s needs and closely linked to local culture. This approach to teacher education ustimulate children to participate actively in their own learning, by encouraging them to think for themselves, act on their own initiative and to find solutions to problems on their own.
How is Pedagogy of Text different?
- This pedagogical approach advocates a balanced bilingualism using at least two languages (the local and the national), which are taught to the students. Other subjects are also taught through the medium of the two languages.
- The subjects taught are closely linked to the students’lives and the life of their community. The teaching material is based on issues that are directly linked to the students’ daily experiences and the environment where their community lives.
- Interculturality is promoted: the pedagogical approach takes into account not only knowledge drawn from outside the communities (particularly scientific knowledge), but also knowledge emanating from the communities themselves.
- Quality teaching material allows for an interdisciplinary approach to education: topics are covered in languages, mathematics, social sciences and life sciences at the same time.
- Rather than having an approach based on rote learning and memorising facts, the focus is on developing the students' advanced intellectual skills such as logical, conceptual and critical thinking.
- Key importance is given to the teaching and learning of various genres of oral and written texts (narrative, argumentative, etc.), which enable students to acquire broader knowledge and a greater number of skills.
- Emphasis is placed on establishing a good rapport between the teacher and his/her students.
- The local population is involved in the education of the children and in the management of the schools, and school hours and term dates are sometimes adjusted to suit local needs.
Training in Pedagogy of Text
In order to bring about long-lasting and meaningful improvement in the quality of education, Pedagogy of Text is not only put into practice in basic education, but also taught in the initial and continuing training of teachers, as well as in high-level (Master's) course for teacher trainers.