health project in el salvador
Enfants du Monde contributes to a better health policy
In the past, the Ministry of Health in El Salvador focused exclusively on reinforcing health services.
The fact that health centres might be hard to reach due to, among other factors, limited means of transport was rarely taken into account. Moreover, the State also attached little importance to the health awareness of women and their families. Most of them are not fully aware of warning signs during pregnancy and are therefore unable to take measures to prevent them.
Since the launch of the Enfants du Monde health programme in El Salvador, the number of maternal deaths has decreased significantly in the eight participating municipalities. And the reason for this lies in the approach to healthcare promoted by our Swiss NGO.
Convinced by the results achieved through our approach at local level, the Ministry of Health in El Salvador requested Enfants du Monde's help to incorporate Enfants du Monde's approach at national level. Our Swiss NGO has therefore worked with the Ministry of Health in El Salvador to determine the best way to incorporate our approach into its healthcare strategy and to introduce it nationally.
- Around 67,200 pregnant women, young mothers and babies countrywide benefit from our health programme.
- At information sessions, pregnant women and their families are taught how to recognise danger signs during pregnancy.
- Continuous education is offered to healthcare workers.
- Taxi drivers or police guarantee emergency transport to the hospital if an ambulance is not available.
- Healthcare workers throughout the country are trained to implement the health approach promoted by Enfants du Monde.